Saturday, April 27, 2013

What is it to be normal?

I feel like the title of my blog post this week is a very open-ended Q+A. Our society has been asking this question for generations and our answers to it always very. Normalcy is very hard to define (even right now I can't think about a definition in my head for this term). People say they are "normal" but what is normal can be seen as different to anyone in our society. A certain clip comes to my mind when I think of normal/normalcy. Its a clip from one of my fave shows, Spongebob! Spongebob watches a video from Squidward about a "normal" life and Spongebob changes his lifestyle to be more "normal."

Our society judges people to fit these "norms" but its tough to say who is the "normal" one in society and who should be looked upon as a "leader of normalcy." I believe our society emphasizes too much on who is different and who is NOT normal. We need to cut our ties to this whole idea of "normalcy" and go back to worry about our own lives, not other's.

Below is a video about how to determine if you are "normal." I found it funny that people would actually watch this to see if they are normal. Well everyone is normal in their own way!!

~Chad S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L6yPKo6r54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb5F58OFTis

No comments:

Post a Comment