Friday, April 26, 2013

I thought yesterday's presentations were very thought provoking.  Hilda's story seemed very unique to me.  During her interview it became apparent that her parents did not treat her any differently as she was growing up.  I think it would have been beneficial to talk with her parents about their decision to not make her go through surgery.  The class seemed to believe that the surgery was not done to help the child but rather to comfort the parents.  Hilda led a seemingly normal life and did not have the "hurdles" that the doctor seemed to think she had.  A discussion with Hilda's parents would have answered questions about their decision and insight I think on how other parents of intersex children should raise their children.  I agree with the doctors statement that we aren't ready for another minority.  To be honest, we aren't.  Everyone may think we are, but if you look at the real world, not the Fredonia Campus society is not willing to welcome people that are different than them.  I'm not trying to say that what he was doing was right because it's obvious that Hilda turned out alright.  I don't know how to go about this situation of assimilating intersex people into being considered normal, but when the traditional social structure is threatened people act out in horrible ways.  
On our discussion of comfort levels, I find it almost hypocritical.  There is always going to be someone or some group of people that are not comfortable in society.  There is no way to accommodate everyone.  I think it would be great if the forms were changed to accommodate for intersex individuals but I don't know how far people can in making someone feel safe before making another group uncomfortable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment