Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Transgendered Service Members and Military Culture

I would just like to call attention to an issue facing military culture. While Don't ask, Don't Tell was repealed in 2011 by Congress, transgender individuals are still banned from serving in the military, per Department of Defense Regulation. This video presents the individual case of one soldier who was discharged due to being transgendered.

 

What the reason is one can only speculate. Is it because they are deemed not as fit as a regular soldier, or would their presence in the military be deemed to be so disruptive as to make their service undesirable? Either way, it shows the military is far from being accepting of those considered different from established norms. More time and efforts like those put forth by the soldier in the video will hopefully result in a open and accepting military policy.

Also of concern is an issue mentioned in Serlin's article. He ascertains that heteronormative practices help form and identify military culture. He argues this practice is an artificial normality and excludes other possible experiences. I agree that this is true, and that the heteronormative culture is limiting. However, it is also prudent to recognize that a military culture functions best when indoctrinated with a consistently strong culture and identity. If heternormative culture isn't that identity, what identity do you think would best fit the military? Would it be pan-normative? Would it simply switch to a culture of mental and physical toughness? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I am really glad you posted this! I am doing my activism proposal on women in the military and I honestly did not even consider focusing on transgender - and intersexed individuals until our class today. I can see where you are coming from when you say that a military culture functions based on a specific set of strengths and values; and most of the time those stereotypes fit the heteronormative culture. I think the military has come a long way and is becoming more sensitive to the female gender and accomodating them; however there is still discrimination and assault towards women. The revocation of Dont Ask, Dont Tell, definitely does not include or cover transgender.

    I did some extra research on this case and I found this site.

    http://www.whas11.com/community/Staff-Sergeant-Rebecca-Grant-discharged-for-being-transgender-130639848.html

    Stating that Rebecca enlisted as a male, but a year after transitioned to a female. And ever since than was in for 11 years. So it makes me question how she was allowed to serve for so long after the fact?


    I've asked several of my family members and coworkers who are veterans and active duty of their opinions and I recieved some shocking opinions. One of my friends, active duty ANG, said she believes that transexuals, should be allowed to serve, and she had some confusion about whether or not transgenders should enlist; due to the lack of gender neutral barracks and facilities during deployment and basic. She said its a gray area and not a discrimination thing it's just how the military is set up. I also asked an older veteran who is a male, and he just plainly said no. He told me he wouldn't give me a real reason either. I think the acceptance of transgenders and intersexed individuals in the military, begin with the change in ideology of those who are in the military and can not possibly be fixed by one single law; like most of our societies gender, race, and social issues.

    Personally, I think that a lot needs to be altered with the military in terms of how sensitive they are to gender diversity. I don't understand why there are limitations on who can serve our country, it is a voluntary act of patriotism and pride? That just makes absolutley no sense to me. The American military is a great reflection of the corruption in our country's ideology. Although, I can understand how stressful and violent serving in the military can be, but most fail to understand that there are so many ways to serve in the military, ranging from being a doctor, nurse, or a recruiter, even fixing electrical issues. When people think of allowing anyone other than men to serve in the military their mind goes to fighting on the frontline, which then kind of reinforces their ideas about whether or not women and transgender, transexual, LGBT community, and intersexual individuals should be allowed to even enter the military.

    ReplyDelete