Saturday, April 27, 2013

Intersexuality


On the discussion about intersexuality, I think young teens should be educated on the matter and not blinded by reality. Even though it may be uncomfortable for kids at that age, they may be introduced to an intersexed person at any point in their life. Even though a small percentage of the population develops or is born with ambiguous genitalia, it is better to be knowledgable about the different possibilities.  I personally have never heard the term ‘intersexuality’ specifically until this class. I have heard stories on T.V. about the possibility that individuals may not have a defined gender, based on their genitalia, but never really thought about it in regards to society and medicalization.  I think intersex should be accepted more openly in today’s society. We have been continuing to evolve and this is just a minor difference that does not necessarily hinder the person from normal sexual and reproductive functions. If intersex individuals feel comfortable  in their skin and  feel ‘normal’ then who is to say they are not?  I think that if children are taught the meaning behind intersexuality, then society can eventually grow and become more accepting and understanding.
 
-emothersell

2 comments:

  1. I agree that intersexuality should be brought to the attention of younger minds, and this would take a step towards accepting the idea, but I also think the right age needs to be considered. If kids are taught to young about intersexuality it could immediately backfire as their maturity may not be high enough, and see the teaching as light for something else to pick on kids about. I also think that teaching about intersexuality will run in to problems with parents, considering a main problem of society today is that older generations aren't accepting of this, so they wouldn't want their kids learning about it or supporting it. With these ideas when do you think a good time would be to start teaching kids about intersexuality, and what solution would you propose to angry parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about sex in general, in school, I was freaked out about genitalia. I did not want to go anywhere near the other sexes' genitalia and was too freaked out by it. As I got older, I got more comfertable learning about it. Finally in 11th grade, we did talk about intersex, but only touched upon it. I was a little freaked out a bit, but then I didn't care about it so much.

    I feel like society needs to get over the whole idea of intersex. Please. Some people are still frightened by gay marriage. I really feel that our society needs to get evolved sooner with these ideas. I even have friends who are intersex, and guess what, I'm over it. Who cares if someone is gay or intersex? We are all human and that's what matters.

    -Courtney O.

    ReplyDelete