Sunday, April 21, 2013

A post from an education major

This week I wanted to focus my blog post on something that is near-and-dear to my heart: education. Briefly on Tuesday's class, we talked about how we should go about including special needs students into the classroom. This point got a lot of attention from the edu. majors in the classroom. Erik, Jeff, Mike, and the other edu majors (myself included agreeing) mentioned several points on how we should include these types of students into our classrooms. Well here is my take on it:

I whole-heartily agree that we should NOT separate but integrate "special edu" students into our classes. Today's society is not the same as our parents' were back-in-the-day. We should not discriminate against people who are "different" than us. We should accept them for who they are!! I being a future educator just about know all of the common core curriculum standards that we have to use in our classrooms, and we have to make sure they are modified to meet the needs of certain disabled students. I know that I have to read these students' IEPs/ILOs to see how they learn. Maybe they learn as a interpersonal, intrapersonal, nature, visual student (according to Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences).

Each student learns differently and we should respect that. Society should just NOT just "label" these types of students as "different" because that is discrimination and immoral. But that is the way of our society~ we judge people based on their looks, NOT personality or skills.

In other words, we should include students who have disabilities into our classrooms. Just because they are "mad does not mean they can't be glad for Chad" to be their teacher!!

~Chad S. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your statement, unfortunately I have encountered several EDU majors who have discriminatory and skewed views on things like the LGBT community, race & ethnicity, disabilities etc. I have heard plenty of people say that they don't want to work in a urban classroom (and they were solely pertaining this term urban to race & ethnicity, automatically connecting it to inferiority and poverty) because they are 'afraid' and don't think they could 'handle it'; which frightens me as a future teacher. The same thing with inclusivity and special education. I plan on going to grad school for Special Education and when I tell some of my edu friends that they actually congratulate me and say they could never do that. Which is absurd, because as you know classrooms and curriculums are becoming more and more inclusive, meaning these people who are 'afraid', will have to deal with their fears one way or another. I really believe that any education program for college students, needs to incorporate interdiscplinary courses, such as this one, so people who inspire to become educators can recognize the issues they will have to face and work towards a better, more accepting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete