Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Issue With Holding Off On Education

Within the last few minutes of class we talked about what would be best for educating children about interesexual people. A few mentioned that it wouldn't be wise to teach in middle school because it would be a joke to a lot of the kids. Where I do somewhat agree with that I feel like holding off and exposing them at a a later time makes the issue even more alien. The earlier the better I see fit. If parents brought there children up with knowing about the diversity of people then I feel like having to learn about intersex in 9th grade Health class wont make it seem so weird. I feel like if we keep making it an issue then it will continue to be an issue. It is sort of like the topic of sex with children. Many believe it it best to hold off as long as you can before you talk to them about it but I think the children who get exposed to it at a early age don't encounter many questions or problems when they get older. Pushing the education back to say high school or even college means that less and less people will be able to hear it.  I wouldn't want the first time a person learns of intersex is on the birthing table at the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Erica. I feel like kids now-a-day should be educated not only about sex but about intersex earlier in school. I remember in 7th grade Health class we talked about the basics and then more in depth in 10th grade (along with drugs, STDs, etc.) too. We need to educate our kids, just in case they get curious about it. I feel like it is better to hear the "birds and bees" talk from our parents, trusted adults, friend than the internet.

    Yes the internet is a great source to find anything you want to search for but at the same time its not a good enough place to ask for help. We should ask people who know stuff about sex, especially our parents, even if its uncomfortable at a young age.

    ReplyDelete