Saturday, February 16, 2013

Who Has the Final Voice?

Based on the class discussion concerning conjoined twins it has left a few questions up in the air.  Conjoined twins are certainly one of the most fascinating of modern genetic mutations.  The problems and scrutiny they face in society tied back to their uncommon appearance may not be justified.  Some people have mutations that are not as severe.  Some people grow extra fingers or toes, while others  have rare and unique eye colors.  Who is to say that these mutations aren't conducive of the "freak-like" classification bestowed upon conjoined twins?  This leads me to my questions.  Firstly, do you feel like the parents of these conjoined twins should have the ability to judge the future for their would-be children?  Secondly, if the circumstances would endanger the child's life, is it justifiable to terminate the pregnancy? Lastly,  do you feel like society has been to harsh on these people?  I think the answer lies in empathy.  Put yourself in the shoes of a conjoined twin.  Imagine all the hardships you'd have to endure.  The ability to drive, go to the bathroom, or even have a relationship with a person is completely altered.  Perhaps we should think twice before immediately judging these people.  After all, they're human too.

1 comment:

  1. Mikey-
    First off, let me say I'm glad you really got to thinking about my presentation on conjoined twins.
    Second, I believe that the parents should have the say for their twins to be "split" because, like I said in class, my parents would probably want Derek and me to be "ourselves" and become 2 independent people, and not 1 person really. I still am amazed that conjoined twins can come out of the womb unharmed really. I think my life and Derek's life would be different if we were conjoined twins and not antenatal twins. Maybe I would be at McD's right now, flipping burgers with him literally; or maybe he would be next to me, interfering with me typing this comment for our class' blog.
    I am truly amazed that we have conjoined twins and its interesting to "study" them and talk about them. But really, we should not really judge them because they are different. I mean we could be the "different" ones...for we are not conjoined to them and that may not be normal to them either.
    ~Chad S.

    ReplyDelete