Saturday, February 16, 2013

Response to Jessica McClean's "Conjoined Twins"

I found it interesting that you mentioned that conjoined twins are being portrayed in the media because as I was doing the reading the other day, I realized that I have never actually seen conjoined twins in person.  Rather, I have only seen them portrayed in the media, be it through reality TV shows, as a subject in a TV show or movie with  a circus or freak show display, or in the news.  I have never actually seen conjoined twins outside of this context.  Now this is probably due to that fact that, as we have described, conjoined twins are rare, so it's not very likely that everywhere I happen to go that I will run the chance of bumping into them.  I just think it's interesting that in many interviews, conjoined twins stress the point that they try to live their lives as normal as possible, but it almost seems as the media still manages to make them a freak show, even if they are being recorded and put on display for medical purposes.  The media doesn't allow for much leeway and it seems that whenever there is a new rare case discovered, it is not long before complete strangers become aware of these twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment