Friday, February 15, 2013

What is normal?

Breaking off our class discussion on Thursday, I'd like to pose another side to the whole what is normal and what isn't? topic, dealing with conjoined twins. I definitely agree with everyone in class that if I had to choose, for my child, if they had to live separately or conjoined I would want them to live separately. I guess taking the devil advocates side for a little bit I'm wondering that, what constitutes as normal to us? Is it something that our society deems normal and that is why we follow it? I feel like we perhaps look down upon situations like this because it is something drastically different from what we see every day. If more and more people were being born conjoined, we wouldn't even be talking about this issue. Also, we say that a life in our own bodies is the best way to become an individual. But perhaps we are the ones that are missing out on something. That connection between the two conjoined twins might be one of the best connections anyone could ever experience. Having someone completely and utterly understand you is a rare thing to find for anyone.  Now is it worth giving up a life of being your own person?.. I don't know, but I now understand why theirs been such a big debate over it.

The following article is about George and Lori Schappell, who are joined at the head and are now happily celebrating their 50th birthdays.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/3810505/We-have-normal-lives.html

-Erica Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment