Saturday, February 16, 2013

Vagina Monologues Review

As you all know, the Vagina Monologues were preformed this weekend. If you weren't in class Thursday, we went on a field trip to University Commons to witness the Vagina Monologues flash mob advertising for the show.  For those who are unfamiliar with the show, the author is Eve Ensler. She ventured the world talking to women from different countries, races, and occupation. She interviewed these women on the topic of their relationships with their vaginas. From the interviews, she wrote the monologues that are annually performed around the world in February. The profits from the show go toward the V-Day Campaign and the Agnes Women's Shelfter in Jamestown. The V-Day money is sent to an area of the world that women need help as featured in the Spotlight monologues at the end of the show.

I was in the show last year and it was a great experience. Every year the atmosphere around the show is different. The skits that killed it on Friday night were "Angry Vagina," The Woman That Liked to Make Women Happy" and "I was in the Room" which was about birth. There were a couple skits in the first act that I thought were a little more sexual than they needed to be. When people hear the word "vagina" they most times will automatically think it's sexual. The show should be helping people understand that women can connect to one another and that the gender of a person shouldn't make them any lesser than another.  The play is already a very shocking, controversial show that is always under fire for "celebrating lesbianism" and her one skit involving a minor. Some people wonder if the show is outdated or useless, what do you guys think? The host of the show tells us how 1 in 3 women will be sexually assaulted or beaten in their lifetime. With that kind of statistic, would it harm women if the show was banned?
Overall the show was amazing as always and very empowering to anyone who was in attendance.
If anyone has any questions about the show, I'll gladly answer anything.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the vagina monologues performance was fantastic! But I do have to agree that some performances were oversexualized, and at times for the wrong reasons. I praise all of the women up on that stage for participating in such a great cause but I wish that it wasn't always about sex. I understand that when talking about the vagina, it is naturally going to be brought in a sexual direction. But, observing some of the monologues I would agree that it was unnecessary in some places and would have been just as effective, if not more, without the sexual implications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Vagina Monologues as well! I was in it in 2009 and 2010 and it was a wonderful experience. I went to the show this year and really liked it (as usual) but I will agree with you guys about it being over-sexualized. Some of the monologues call for it (ie "The Moaner") but I think overall that should not be the main tone. It sort of goes against what they are trying to teach, in a way. I try to think of it as empowering- like reclaiming sexuality- but I still think some of it is a bit overdone. I agree that it could, at times, be more effective if the performers weren't trying to be so sexy.

    ReplyDelete