Friday, April 19, 2013

Response to Meghan's post about Interdisciplinary Studies

I fully agree that Interdisciplinary Studies is an excellent way for multiple disciplines to combine their knowledge, experience and expertise to work toward a common goal. This allows people to escape the narrow views that some single fields can sometimes have and allow them to see things from multiple points of view and consider solutions from different angles and points of view.

I disagree that this would be confusing if introduced to college classes; I think it's an excellent way to teach students to look at things from different points of view, as well as to allow students to "dabble" in different fields in case they don't quite know what they want to major in.

Having an interdisciplinary major in graduate school has been an excellent experience so far. It has allowed me to view things from not only a women's & gender studies perspective, but also cross reference with English, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, and Biology. It's so interesting to see how these fields interact and work together surrounding the topics I am interested in studying, and I feel as though it makes me more well rounded and prepared in my field.

Studying in an interdisciplinary field also works to fight against the institution of school itself, in a way, because it goes against norms and breaks down traditional views of doing things. Many other fields have risen out of interdisciplinary studies, and they are very legitimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment