Friday, April 19, 2013

Brain Differences

I found yesterday's discussion to be very interesting in that most of the class didn't see that the size of the brain effected brain function.  In school we are not shown a female brain and a male brain, we are just shown a brain.  I don't think that education now is set up in a way where we are taught these gender differences in brain size.  Saying that women can't do something because they have a smaller brain size is ridiculous.  Birds, which have a very small brain can fly.  Humans cannot.  If we had the physical attributes to fly but the same brain, we would not be able to fly because that part of our brain is not developed.  I think sexists like to use the brain size as an excuse.  I was told two years ago that I should not be able to vote.  I didn't ask questions but I am quite sure that it was because I was a women and most likely not intelligent enough to make my own decisions.  Attributing brain size and intelligence together is ridiculous and an out dated theory.  Neuroscientists should take into account the effect of culture on the brain because the brain is not just a scientific being.  From day 1 on the earth we are being influenced by our surrounding and if they forget this, they are leaving out a huge part of how we develop and how we turn out as people.  There should be a balance between culture and biology when researching the brain.  I don't know how this should be achieved because I don't know enough about either subject, but they should work together to reach an appropriate balance. 

1 comment:

  1. The size of the brain should not have to measure the intellectual capabilities of both men and women. Even though we learn about one brain, we aren't even told that there are different sizes of the brain that are associated with different sexes. I wasn't aware until yesterday about the different sizes of the brain and that did not change my opinion about the intellectual capabilities of both sexes. In my opinion, I do not believe there are intellectual advantages and should not be over-thought when it comes to comparing brains. Culture has a huge impact on how we learn and that has a lot to do with our intellectual potentials, both men and women.

    ReplyDelete