Friday, April 19, 2013

Interdisciplinary Studies

In class, we briefly touched upon the idea of interdisciplinary studies as a part of studying neuroscience and culture. The neurocultural manifesto emphasizes an interdisciplinary approach, but as many of us agreed, it is difficult to get scientists to recognize the value of integrating other perspectives and disciplines into their field of study. However, reading the two articles for tuesday's class were both interesting and intriguing in considering how neurocultural perspectives need to be more pronounced in the field of study.

Personally, I feel that interdisciplinary studies are both valuable and provide a place for discovery. We discussed the changes in gen. ed. courses that is supposed to be coming about for a more interdisciplinary approach. Although some mentioned this may become confusing, and I don't completely disagree, I do believe though that these kind of classes could be extremely beneficial for students who don't know what they want to do or are looking for a major.

In my experience, having an interdisciplinary studies minor in women and gender studies, I have gained so much knowledge and experience in all different types of classes and subjects. However, I still have my Psychology major that has provided me with a direct and focused study of one subject that is important to most college students completion of a degree. I wish that the value of interdisciplinary studies in trying to figure out one's place in college was emphasized more because it really helped me to figure out where my true interests and passions lie as an individual. I think that this is more important than the degree that I receive at graduation, but rather that I know what I have truly gained as a person from my college experience. Overall, being a part of the interdisciplinary program of women and gender studies altered my experience at college and maybe if more areas like it existed other people would be able to feel this same way.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you and have had a similar experience as a student in an interdisciplinary studies program. As a music industry major, I was able to gain education on the business aspect, general, everyday business knowledge, as well as within the industry, and then was able to take courses more geared towards my interests and discipline that I would be guaranteed to have to use. The interdisciplinary studies program can help students who are unsure of where they would like they college education to lead them can use this as a guide to what they would like to pursue.

    ReplyDelete