Friday, May 3, 2013

Tattoos in the work place.



I think that in educational, medical, and any other profession the outlook of employees should not be focused as much on looks, but their qualifications and attitude/personality. Thinking about tattoos in the works place, I don’t think I have ever seen a doctor or nurse with a tattoo. The picture above though shows that it’s the same person, he must still be qualified to be a doctor despite his tattoos and personal preferences. But, then again in the medical field you want to trust your doctor or nurse and believe that they are reliable, have good judgment, and are not impulsive. As our generations keep developing, it will be interesting to see in the future how tattoos in different institutions change; if they will be more acceptable or not.   


 
-emothersell

2 comments:

  1. I found this article to be very interesting. I am glad that there is started to be more progressive thinking about tattoos and having a tattoo. I am glad that jobs are shifting more toward being qualified than looking the type.

    As someone who wants to be a teacher, I appreciate this shifting views. Although many conservative views still exist in the educational realm, it is very good that progressive views are started to be implemented.

    But I did have a question as a result of this article. While much of it is do to our progressive views on the topic, how much of this is related to competition?

    Globally, the US is starting to fall behind in education and medicine. So do you think employers are less worried about employers appearance, and more worried about qualification. Because if the employee is more qualified then we can compete better? Perhaps this could be a potential reason.

    ...Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of the article is extremely funny towards me because people once actually thought that if someone got a tattoo there life would be over. Some professions actually still think tats are not appropriate to the workplace.

    I disagree with that statement because I (as many of you guys know) work at FSA's Cranston. I see many of my coworkers/employees have tats and they do not get yelled at it for them. We are moving towards a society that embraces have a tat on them. My coworker has a piano tat on his arm because he loves the piano. Also one of my best friends has a biblical tat on his shoulder and I don't judge him any different.

    This also gets me into thinking about education and tats. We have all heard (if we are edu majors) that tats are not "acceptable, appropriate" in our job field. That was the POV back in the day; today most schools don't care as long as its not visible. I remember someone said in class that she would be distracted if her teacher had a tat on her arm. I don't see that bc we are there in school to learn; not to look at a teacher's face.

    ~Chad S.

    ReplyDelete