Friday, May 3, 2013

A note on tattoos

This discussion these week got me very intrigued in people's motivation and tattoo stories. I remember in class we talked about if a tattoo was really considered sincere or worth it if it had no meaning. This is because many people think that a tattoo has to tell a story or mean something in order to serve its function. Perhaps this follows the older views of tattoos or sailor and military folklore.

Regardless, I think of the major issues is that you have the right to get a tattoo and express yourself. It follows one of our constitutional values. My issue with tattoos are those who criticize it because essentially there are criticizing that specific person's right to express oneself.

On a unrelated side note, I find tattoo stories or people's tattoo's to be very interesting to potentially understanding that person on a deeper level. My mother had a work friend who's husband worked in a factory and could not wear jewelry. So instead of wearing a ring, he got a tattoo of the ring on his finger so he could always remember his wife at work. That is one of the more touching stories I have heard. Perhaps if others want to share any stories they have I think it would be very enlightening for this conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment