Monday, April 29, 2013

Breaking Stereotypes

After reading "Fat. Hairy. Sexy.", I was so set back because of a change in my own personal views. Much like the beginning of the reading, where it explained the stereotype of a gay man, I also never put thought into the idea of a fat gay man. It was just so crazy to me that the stereotype was something that I viewed normally and never even thought anything of it. I think it says a lot about the set opinions of people all over the world, and how it's eye-opening when the stereotype is finally broken, and you see the other perspective. I just thought that the reading was so interesting in that respect, and was curious if anyone else took a moment after reading that beginning part of the reading, and felt the same way? I think breaking stereotypes like this is definitely an important thing to bring awareness to because of how easy it is to label a set group of people and then never think anything of it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is curious there is few mainstream presentation representations of the Bear Community. Or maybe there are and I haven't noticed them. Still, I feel if somehow the idea of a bear was brought to the attention of mainstream society it may not be such a foreign concept to some. I did know of bear culture before reading this, though I wasn't aware it had as wide an audience as this article impresses upon us.

    I'd also like to mention that their remains the concern of creating more stereotypes instead of breaking stereotypes. By that I mean creating the dual stereotypes of "twinks" and "bears", while ignoring the great in-between.

    ReplyDelete