Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mensturation, a natural act

When we began talking about women who are ashamed of their own mensuration because of the way in which the medical profession portrays the process, I did some research on my own and found the following trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK-MNdxSqns

I wish we had time to watch this movie in class and discuss it further. It seeks to analyze the negative image of menstruation in different cultures, looking at how those images have appeared, and what the impact of that image has been over time. The varied views, opinions, and outlooks on menstruation are different worldwide, and comparing and contrasting these different views, as well as looking at who is the authority in each of these areas and how that effects their decisions would be very beneficial for our class.

1 comment:

  1. I watched this movie in a bio class a while ago, I didn't see the entire film, but I think it would be interesting to talk about. It was interesting to see how girls in some cultures, like the US, see it as frightening and taboo. Meanwhile, there are countries that embrace the period.

    If we want to talk about this, I will just show my perspective. Personally, I hate it when my period comes. Every girl that I know usually hates it. But honestly I don't treat it as taboo. It's one of those things that women experience. I'm not trying to say we should talk about it non-stop or hold a celebration each month (although parties are not bad ideas). But I feel that women shouldn't be ashamed of it. Usually I would warn people "I'm on my period, don't mess with me". And guys know that girls get periods too. Of course it would be weird talking about it with guys. But when guys see feminine product, they flee away. Everyone just needs to know that its there, and women should not be ashamed to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete