Saturday, March 23, 2013

Gender Inclusivity

The Gender Inclusivity Forum took place on Wednesday to a smaller crowd than I expected. Gender inclusivity was the topic, but when push came to shove some of the biggest criticisms were quickly shut down by members of the administration. Even when a transgendered student stood up and told his story and the injustices he suffered while trying to just fit in, the ominous presence of the administration in the room was clearly felt.

The underlying problem I felt while in the forum was of the freshmen single sex buildings on our campus. Vice President Herman countered statements in support of this housing structure stating that several students who enroll enroll solely because of their parents penchant for the the single sex rooms. However, any student can sign into any other students room at night, so the separation created by this policy truly only extends so far. Of the parents if our students aren't progressive enough to accept this, then I feel that is a ridiculous notion.

SUNY Fredonia is in the category of "university colleges" of the SUNY system, setting them apart from university centers such as UB and UA, and community colleges and tech schools. Of these university colleges, Fredonia is the last school other than SUNY Maritime that has single sex freshmen buildings. We need to reassess this situation and change our course as an institution.

5 comments:

  1. The Gender Inclusivity forum was not what I expected. I was not surprised by the department representation we had there, or that I recognized most of the students in attendance. I felt that the discussion overall went well, but was hindered by the fact that so many topics were being covered that we were not really able to make a conclusion about any of them. Since this was the first open forum, I'm not entirely surprised by that, but I was surprised to see how much knowledge some individuals offered and how much it was overlooked, or how sometimes it seemed as if some very relevant statements were not addressed or forgotten. I feel that the first open forum was a beneficial first step, but in order to make anything happen, future forums should take into consideration more than what the school has to offer, and look more into what loopholes or alternates we may be able to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not able to attend the forum, however, I am saddened to hear that administration was not hearing the voices of the students. The same sex dorm situation for freshman is not very progressive and I can't see how a school such as fredonia would want to put parents comfortability before the students. It seems unfair and unjust when the students are the ones that have to deal with the living situation, not the parents. Also, with the fact that members of the opposite sex can sign in at night at anytime seems to defeat the purpose of the separation that parents tend to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Meghan about the same sex dorms. I was surprised as a freshman last year that I had to sign into other dorms at night. As well as there being no mixed gender freshman dorms other than Hemingway which was only mixed gender because it was considered a "freshman overflow" and transfer students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting fact to learn that we are one of the last few SUNY schools to have single sex freshman dorms. Honestly I did not think about it when I signed up for dorm halls. Although as a freshman, I did not have many personal problems living an all-male dorm hall (Chautauqua,) but I can see where such an issue could arise. It is a shame that the university is so willing to shoot down any forward thinking, especially considering the very excepting and open student community we have here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although we have single sex freshman dorms here on campus, I know plenty of other campuses that are co-ed from the start. I don't know if it's really fair to separate people based on gender. I question this much like i question that the most important thing to separate children's classes and academic standing based on their age. Different kids develop mentally at different times. Who's to say that a younger kid shouldn't be moved up or an older kid should be held back and be praised/looked down upon because they excel/can't keep up with their peers? Regardless, we as students can still sign into the opposite sex's dorms at night as freshman, so I really feel like separating genders in freshman year is pointless.

    ReplyDelete