Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Life and Death: When Henrietta Became HeLA

Upon reading the majority of our readings for this week I realized that once I started reading the book The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks I couldn't put it down. A black woman who seemed to live life to the fullest even in poverty see still became caught in the web of medical spider's grasp. Upon self and actual medical examination a relatively harsh form of cervical cancer ravaged this young woman's body. Even though in the beginning it seemed John Hopkins was trying to help her she still died which will later to said was due to an extremely large overdose of radium for her treatment. In any normal case you might think that the book would have been over there. This was not the case due to experimental scientists realizing that the cancer cells of Henrietta's cervix not only survived but continued to grow leading to an almost 50 year study of how the cells acted under difference situations. The cells like people saw the history of America in so many different ways including the atomic era. However, as this book will show what is good for science is not necessarily good for humankind. The family Henrietta left behind became lost in members of society even having other family member destroy them mentally beyond repair. It really makes you question if you had the choice would you try help science upon your death bed or would you do everything in your power to leave what little memory people have of you to their memories and not spending their lives looking for cells that just happened to come from you? For me even if my situation was similar to Henrietta's I would want my memory to be with those who knew me and I don't think I would want any of my potential children trying to look for me when I am gone for good and there is no real chance of getting me back. I would just want them to live their lives as much as I tried to live mine.

William Webster

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminds me of the issue of organ donation. I personally would not mind having my organs donated if something were to happen to me. I feel they won't benefit me anymore but they will help someone else in need. That way I'll live on in someone else (pun intended). I certainly don't think organ donation is as controversial as taking someone's cells but they are two medical issues that modern patients should take a moment to consider.

    ReplyDelete