Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tattoos as deviant?

So I just noticed that this never posted over the weekend...I think I hit 'save' instead of 'publish'...sorry about that!


I thought our conversation about tattoos was really interesting and I enjoyed hearing a few different opinions. I think our society, as a whole, has come a long way in the past couple decades in regards to views on tattoos. I think that a lot of people have them, and most people know someone with one, and most people know that it doesn't change who you are as a person and having a tattoo doesn't define who you are. I do see how some people may still "disapprove", however, since the tradition of tattoos have stigmas attached. My grandpa from Puerto Rico still reminds me that most of the time when a woman has a tattoo "back home", it means she's a prostitute. But I do think that these views have changed over time and will continue to change.

I'm happy we talked about tattoos in the workplace, especially when it comes to being a teacher, because that is something that, I think, still has a long way to go and it's quite frustrating. I feel like in these instances there are still very traditional views and that's in order to maintain a certain image. People on the street may be more accepting, but when it comes to certain institutions there may still be traditional values in place in order to maintain a certain "look", and therefore not risking losing money. Unfortunately, when these institutions in our society hold these views, it still makes people feel like there is something wrong with tattoos and people with them are somewhat less professional or competent than people without them. I hope this changes one day because it is absolutely not true.

I found a few really neat pictures of parents on Pinterest who have tattoos and are posing with their children. I just think it's interesting to see people who may be pictured as being "rebels" or "deviants" with babies/children. It shows that everyone is capable of love and nurturing, and a little bit of ink doesn't change that.








1 comment:

  1. There is no doubt more and more people are getting tattoos. Everybody and their grandma is getting one or would like to get one. I think this will reach a point, if it hasn't already, where getting a tattoo is rather meaningless. Of course there may be a personal story behind it, but I feel that part of the appeal behind getting a tattoo is that it (supposedly) conveys a sense of rebellion or otherness. I suppose this is good in the sense that having a tattoo will no longer bar someone from getting certain jobs, but it is somewhat of a shame that a large part of the meaning behind tattoos is gone. Some people want to be different and reject main stream society; what do they use to signify their rejection? Maybe guages, since they are another permanent mark like tattoos.

    ReplyDelete