Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Requirements of Welfare.

Continuing the big discussion on the welfare system, I decided to look into the details about the system. If one were to make a guess at what was required, it's kind of unknown information. What could someone possibly have to give when they're asking for the last resort help that the welfare system provides? According to WelfareInfo.org, "Common documents asked for are proof of income, ID, and utility bills or other proof of residency." I think it's interesting that a person would need these documents in order to ask for assistance from the government. It was also interesting to me, when I was thinking about who would actually need this system the most, and how they probably don't have enough of the documents to be granted the help they needed. I guess I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks about it? I know you obviously need to prove you live in the country to be able to gain it's help, but where does that leave the people who live off the street that actually need the money, as opposed to the ones who don't necessarily? Or is the system created in a way that it may not even provide for the ones who desperately need the help?

2 comments:

  1. That's an interesting thought that you pose about how the ones in need of welfare the most are unable to apply for it due to lack of documentation. I may be wrong, but I actually think the government informs you whether or not you're eligible for welfare. I'm not sure if they attain this information through the IRS when you file taxes, but there's still a process to go through before you receive the benefits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was interesting and something I hadn't thought about. I think the reason why they want proof of income would be so they know the individual is at least making an effort and not just being lazy and tryin to abuse the system. But for those who may live out of a car or are homeless should not be rejected for welfare on that basis. It's a tricky system that does have flaws in weeding out those who really need the services and those who may just be abusing the system.

    ReplyDelete