Friday, April 5, 2013

Eugenics and Incest

As some of you may know, there are people who still practice eugenics today. Personally I am not  fond of the practice, but it still happens sometimes. I had the thought of eugenics and if it relates to incest. In fact, in Britain, cousins can marry each other so that they can create children with perfect traits. Some societies think that incest is a perfectly normal practice in order to try and keep perfect traits. However I think its disgusting. What do you think would happen if this was to happen in the US? Do you think that society would accept this practice? Or reject it?

-Courtney O

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that American society would absolutely reject this concept. I agree with you on the fact that I think it's disgusting, which supports my argument. This idea is too far from the societal norm for people to accept it here in America. Moreover, I don't believe trying to medicalize it and giving Eugenics a scientific or logical explanation would deter the majority's opinion. While it is true that in Europe those sorts of things were quite common, now a days it would be absolutely appalling to see such an idea being carried through in American society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think America woudl most definitely reject the practice of incest. I don't think the U.S. would ever find the need to practice incest in order to keep perfect traits. Not only is it disgusting, but there are health risks involved with procreating with a relative/cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the U.S. would most definitely with no doubt reject the idea of incest. I think one of the reasons contributing to this would be our advanced medical knowledge on the negative effects of incest. The act of incest would eventually over a period of time lead to many serious problems.

    ReplyDelete