Saturday, April 6, 2013

Response to 'Eugenics and Incest'

I'm not exactly sure Incest is the best idea when in comes to different ways to produce perfect traits. I actually know that it's been proven that incest can mess up the baby being born. It's effects are major, including increased risk of congenital disorders, disability and even death. So maybe keeping certain genes in the family is important enough to some people for them to follow through with it, but it's results can be extreme. I don't really see it ever coming to America because it's not something I see our culture accepting so easily. If anything, it would take a long time for the country to accept. 

1 comment:

  1. European royalty is a good example of historic genetic choosing. Except this did have a lot of negative effects. I think many suffered from hemophilia and other things. A lot of their portraits were modified to hide these treats. But of course it had an impact on European politics, cousins at war with cousins. Although I think eugenics would generally try to rid these traits, shortening the gene pool always has it consequences.

    ReplyDelete