Saturday, February 23, 2013

Gendered Behavior

When reading Judith Lorber’s piece “Believing is Seeing,”   I thought it was interesting how she talked about everyday gendered behavior.  One example she gives is if a woman and a man are in a car, the man would be the one to drive the car, even if he isn’t the better driver of the two. I never thought about this before, but it is very true. Even looking at my parents, my dad is always the one to drive. Why do you think this is?  Is it because men are the ‘leaders’ or because it has been the social ‘norm’ for so many years?  One point Lorber makes is that this gives a sense of social power, which I think is true. I think that men like to feel in charge and this is one form of accomplishing that. The stereotype that women are not good drivers could also be a reason, but there are plenty of good women drivers and not all men are as competent. I just thought this was interesting and opened my eyes about another way in which men tend to be “in charge” in everyday activities.

-emothersell

No comments:

Post a Comment