Saturday, February 23, 2013

Chad's Blog Post on Mutter Museum

I wanted to focus my weekly blog on the Mutter Museum and the documentary that we watched in class on Tuesday. I thought the article was very interesting because at first, I found it very odd and unusually that a person collected skulls back in the 1800s. I mean maybe it was a "fad" "back in the day" but, from today's terms, it seemed very peculiar to me. Also,  I liked how Hyrtl gave his collection to the now-Mutter Museum for their scientific and medical experiments/exhibitions.

It was cool to see from the documentary that the museum had a lot of exhibits that incorporated the skulls and Hrytl's collection too. I found that these collections/exhibits were very helpful for students of the College of Physicians of Pennsylvania; however, today the museum isn't for the same usage as it once was. The museum knew this would be the case and they adapt to the times.

Overall, I found the article and the documentary very interesting because the Mutter Museum was once seen as a precious tool for scientific knowledge  and now its just another tourist-y attraction. It is just sad (in my mind) that people just go to see skulls and not enjoy the true beauty of the museum it once claimed to be.

~Chad S.

No comments:

Post a Comment