Saturday, April 13, 2013

Disability and Equal Treatment

My post this week focuses on those with disabilities and how society views these people.  Now during class we discussed how it may be beneficial to recognize those with physical disabilities.  It is my feeling that we as a society recognize these people (subconsciously) as inferior. As unfortunate as that may be I know many handicapped members of society that are proud human beings.  Being handicapped or disabled in any manner has not diminished their pride and confidence in any way.  Through experience however, I do seem to feel that recognizing, or specifically pointing out these flaws in person can be considered quite offensive or demoralizing.  This leads me to my point.  We, as a society should do our best to treat those with these handicaps the same as any other human being.  I feel treating people differently because of their physical appearance is shallow.  With that, treating these people equally will not only boost their inner morale, but it will prevent any offensive societal notions to demoralize these people.  In reality, we shouldn't feel sorry for them.  Simply treat them like everybody else, like other human beings.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post, but I also think it may be a lot easier said than done. I'm sure majority of handicapped and disabled people want to be treated as an equal, just as any other person. But do you think that some may find it rude or offensive to to be treated like any other person to certain extents?

    ReplyDelete