Saturday, March 16, 2013

Women Doctors


Since we didn’t get to discuss the Ehrenreich reading as much and I wanted to bring up a point that worried me in the reading. Ehrenreich talks about how the medical industry is very male dominated, that unlike many countries in America Doctors are mostly male. That statement had me thinking and reviewing the many doctors I have had in the past and how, except for one thankful incident, all the doctors I’ve ever dealt with have been male. Now why is that, I have heard many young girls including little cousins claim that they want to be doctors and as they get older they follow through with the thought, but often end up in nursing school. Is there something preventing women from going on and being doctors? I read through several different articles about this, some about how it’s not worth it for women, and many saying being a mother and doctor don’t work, this one talks about many women having to be part time and this effecting patients and speaks in a way against women entering the field thinking they will be able to raise a family.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/opinion/12sibert.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 

But I pose the question what is keeping women away from being doctors?

-Joan Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment