Saturday, March 16, 2013

Guilt and Consent in Medicine and Family

An earlier post I read had mentioned whether guilting a patient into seeking help/treatment was ethical or not.  I broadly explained in my comment that I feel that it can be selfish of someone to use guilt to convince one to seek treatment, and that it dips in with the issue of consent.  I stand by this, and although a doctor or loved may use guilt to convince a patient to seek treatment for reasons of well-being, I believe that it is the patients choice at the end of the day.  We are all aware that we are going to die someday, and I think that it should be the individuals choice as to what they the next step should be, if there is any.  It should depend on if they are ready to receive treatment and try to fight their diagnosis, or if they have accepted it and feel the better option would just be to live out what time they have left.  Th doctor or loved ones can portray selfishness, which in most cases is out of love or concern, but I feel that pressuring them into a decision makes the matter ten times harder, as hard as it is to accept that an individual is sick and may not be around as long as their family and friends had planned for.

No comments:

Post a Comment